We have been developing a new competitive intelligence process for a client. The B2B company wants to better collect, analyze, and disseminate valuable insights on competitive strategy.
As with many competitive intelligence systems, especially in B2B settings, much of the most timely and otherwise unavailable intelligence will come from the salesforce. Similarly, the salesforce is in one of the best positions to take advantage of competitive intelligence to better position products, value propositions, and offers to customers to stymie competitive strategy. It is vital, however, to ensure the competitive intelligence process is not simply asking for competitive intelligence from salespeople, and then giving it back to them without adding sufficient value.
6 Ways to Enhance Competitive Intelligence from the Salesforce:
- To combat this possibility, here are six enhancements to competitive intelligence that originates with the salesforce to deliver new value:
- Aggregate information from multiple people to provide a view no one individual has in order to see patterns or spot trends.
- Perform additional and deeper analysis on the raw information to create new understanding.
- Communicate information to senior leadership that salespeople feel intently, but that is typically lost in the corporate shuffle (i.e., a regional or niche competitor who is not big enough to get corporate-wide attention).
- Disprove or verify early rumors salespeople have reported to address the word on the street.
- Exploit the availability of non-sales sources to enhance the raw intelligence and deliver new information to them.
- Make if more efficient for sales to gather and especially share competitive intelligence with a process that funnels competitive intelligence to them when they need it.